X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtime in Texas

Hello,
    I am new here and have tried to read the posts that may be relevant but haven't found any yet. If there are some, I am sorry I did not find them.
    I work as a security guard in Texas.
    Are security officers (guards) exempt from overtime? If overtime is due, is it over 40 in Texas, or over 80?
    Can they just decide not to pay overtime? This is a pretty large company, and is based in Waco although they also have an office in Austin.
    If we were to be paid overtime, does it count if we work at one place and then another? In other words, if they switch us to say...a shopping mall one day and an army base another day, would both days 8 or 9 hours a day, depending on the day, count toward overtime, or would you have to work all of your hours in one spot?
    If overtime is not paid for security officers, I guess all these other questions are moot, so I will quit now until I have some answers to the basics.
    Thank you for your assistance.

Security guards are not exempt from overtime. You should be paid overtime for any hours over 40 in a work week.

If your working more than one location, and it's for the same employer, then hours from all locations are counted towards overtime.

Look here for more information.

Comment

Thank You
      Is there any way to anonymously nudge the company into compliance?
      I am brand new in this job and really would not like to be fired right off the bat. I suspect they aren't supposed to fire you for bringing this to their attention, however that doesn't mean a whole lot in the real world.
      Thank you for the information and fast reply

Comment

Originally posted by notgot
        Thank You
        Is there any way to anonymously nudge the company into compliance?
        I am brand new in this job and really would not like to be fired right off the bat. I suspect they aren't supposed to fire you for bringing this to their attention, however that doesn't mean a whole lot in the real world.
        Thank you for the information and fast reply
        Click on my link in my pervious post, it takes you to the US Dept. of Labor site that explains things further.

My suggestion to bringing this up is- Carefully
        Companies that are fined for unpaid wages can end up paying 3 times the actual wage the should have, back pay and double damages. Ask the boss if you can speak to him confidentally, then do your best to sound as if your concerned for the company and want to bring this to his attention. Mention that you have heard grumbling from the other workers and just want to be a good company man to help them nip this in the bud.

Take a look here for some info to back you up.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X