X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making late employees wait to punch in - CA

Scenerio.....

An employee tries to punch in at 7 minutes after his scheduled shift is supposed to start due to there not being anywhere to park due to shift change. He is stopped at the time clock and told that because he is late another person had to stay and cover his shift. He is told to wait for 30 mintues until being allowed to clock in for his shift. If the employee had left he would have been considered absent for the day from his scheduled shift.

Can a company require an employee to wait for 30 minutes due to tardiness, regardless of the cause, or face possible disciplinary action if they leave? I know there is such a thing as "walking time" but i don't believe this falls under that catagory.

Thanks!

Yes they can. This is not illegal. You have no right to clock whenever you get there if the employer says wait.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X