Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long term mandatory OT or loose your job.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term mandatory OT or loose your job.

When I started working for this company I was told that during busy times of the year I would be required to work occational OT, well they did not plan accordingly for the volume they got this year and did not want to spend $$ hiring new employees so now some of us are now ending a second month of mandatory 9 hour days monday thru friday and 8 hour saturdays and occational sundays to. Now we are being told that we will have to work 6 days a week, 10 hour days until further notice. We do get time and a half but are being told that we need to make the choice, work or home, no acceptions, if we can't work the OT than we may need to find another job. I just don't feel that this is fair in any way, we get no more than a few hours notice that we have to put our entire lives, family and everything on hold indeffinatlly, they just tell us you have to do the OT and thats it. Any suggestions?

I did a little research on your question and could not find any law that prohibits an employer to force overtime demands. As a HR professional I feel the company should seek temporary help from temp agencies to relieve their full-time staff of being overworked. In my opinion, the statement "work or be at home" is very selfish of your employer. Your employer sounds like they do not value your efforts. Overtime here and there I can understand. Forcing overtime at 10 hours per day 6 days a week is pushing it. However, there is no law that prohibits this request.

Comment

Any suggestions? Find a new job. I think your employer is making a foolish choice because they're going to have lots of turnover in the near future but nonetheless, nothing illegal is occurring.

Comment

Can they terminate me if I tell them I just cant do this 60 hour week thing?

Comment

Yes, they can.

Comment

Boy, what a great State I work in, honestly it wasn't to bad at first, but this is getting to be a load to handle, keeping the job, family together and my own sanity in tact, barely time to breath, not sure if they would allow time for that though.

Comment

hbacon, I don't see the problem with the state. If you don't like the terms and conditions of your employer, and since there is nothing illegal about what they are doing, you can always go somewhere else. You did accept these terms and conditions when you hired on, did you not?
              I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
              Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
              I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
              Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Actually where i come from (Ohio), in factory settings this type of thing is very common. (its why i hate factorys), they will use words such as "Occassional" and sometimes just "Overtime" and leave out the fact that it usually runs 6+ months long. I state the case of my last factory job, they told us that they "Sometimes" require workers to work overtime during there busy periods. They left out that the busy period started in march and ran thru november. Mandatory overtime was 10 hours a day monday thru friday, and 8 on saturday. (rarely 8 on sunday also). It's "AT-Will" employment, so we have to do it or they could have terminated us for it. There is another local factory (one i have relatives at) that require 12 hours a day, 7 days a week during the summer. Also "At-Will" so just be glad that they dont require more out of you then what they are asking, or if you dont like the high # of hours, do like i did, and start looking for another job, with more desireable work requirements.
                Last edited by Munnin2; 08-17-2005, 08:28 AM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X