This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 year old's first job

We live in Delaware and my 14 year old daughter has accepted a job for the summer. It started with $7.50 p/hr w/ 25 hrs a week. It has since went to $50-$75 salary per week with her working 20 hrs. Is it legal for her to be paid such a salary?

14 year old's first job

I doubt it. Delaware does provide for special student learner rates but those must be at least 85% of minimum wage. You can read about Delaware wage law at: http://www.delawareworks.com/industr...Info.shtml#ll1
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

It's legal to pay her a salary as long as (1) it equates to her being paid at least minimum wage for the hours she works, and (2) she is paid time and a-half for all hours she works over 40 each week.

Since it's impossible to imagine that a 14 year old child could work in a job that qualifies for exempt status, I only mentioned the pay requirements for non-exempt (hourly paid) employees.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X