X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need *ADVICE!!!*

Hi folks!

I am currently working in Alberta Canada as a "LAN Administrator" for a "Contracted Services" (Professional Services, like a Temporary agency) company from the USA. I am a US citizen, working with a five(5) year Alberta Work Permit.

Here lies my dilema: I have asked the Canadian employer, many, many times for some kind of "Employee manual." one that will give me all of the particulars like, "Vacation accruals, Personal Time Off accruals, Health benefits, etc." however, then have probably also told me the same number of times, that since I am a "Loaned" employee I do *NOT* qualify for the "Canadian" employee benefits, then they refer my employment questions back to the Human Resource folks in Virginia, USA.

When I ask them for this information, they, once again, refer me back to the Canadian folks. I feel like I'm in a "Contractor's Nightmare!" The USA folks claim that I am a Canadian employee and they are *ONLY* funding my salary, since I am on-loan to them. The Canadian folks say that I am *NOT* a *TRUE* Canadian employee that I am *ONLY* a "Funded" employee also.

My question to someone, or *ANYONE* out there is this: "Is there some kind of "Canadian Dept of Labor" where I can report my unhappiness with regards to being treated like a "Red Haired Orphan Child?" All I want to know are my benefits? How much PTO time do or can I accumulate? Is it based on Gross Salary (exclusive of overtime pay)? or is it based on length of employment? How much vacation time or dollars do I earn? Or is it based, also on, length of employment. There seems to be *QUITE* a bit of differences between the USA contractor's policies and thos of the Canadian office.

Or perhaps I just need to *QUIT!* HAH! Yeah like this will ever happen. My entire family moved to Alberta almost a year ago. All of my personal belongings are with us here in Alberta. I am getting the *VERY* distinct impression that the USA office had *NO* idea as to the Canadian laws, employment regs, etc. Argghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Help!

Canada

You are covered by either or both US and Canada law, depending on the situation. However, there isn't anything in US law that requires an employer to provide an employee handbook or such benefits. Canada may permit an employer to exclude certain classes of employees from benefits, etc.

I believe that you don't have a legal stance upon which to base your concerns.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by LConnell
      You are covered by either or both US and Canada law, depending on the situation. However, there isn't anything in US law that requires an employer to provide an employee handbook or such benefits. Canada may permit an employer to exclude certain classes of employees from benefits, etc.

I believe that you don't have a legal stance upon which to base your concerns.
      Do you recommend that I cite the "USA" employee manual as far as my benefits are concerned? I have a copy of the USA manual.

Comment

Do you recommend that I cite the USA employers manual as far as my concerns are concerned?

Comment

US Manual

You can. However, your employer can exclude expatriats from benefits, if they so choose.
          Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
          www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X