This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Labor Law

Wow, just found this site and I'm under a major time crunch. If anyone is willing to help a young (26) guy who recently started an LLC in Texas and is already having Texas Labor Law troubles after an ex-girlfriend came to work as an independent contractor....I would appreciate it greatly. I have until Friday to file an appeal with Labor Law and am working on it now. Trust me, I learned me lesson in hiring an ex. Thanks!

You learned your first lesson. Hiring an ex is not a problem if she is professional and does her work well, and you keep the personal stuff personal.
    FYI
    http://www.business.com/directory/la...rtnership_law/

Atty article about records a TX Corp should keep
    http://www.burger.com/corprecs.htm

When operating a Texas corporation, it is important to understand some of the most common issues relating to the operations of a corporation.
    http://www.legalzoom.com/texascorporation.html

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you for the pointers. I will definitely check them out. I'm a one man operation and kinda learning this as I go...but definitely got a front row seat for the "ex sucking you dry" lecture. Thanks for the help.

Comment

being a furrener in texas.....

I take it you are not born Texan? Without getting into Texas labor law, I can tell you something for free I paid a lot of **** $$$ to hear from an attorney: if anything goes before a Texas judge, keep in mind that in Texas judges are A. elected and B. usually not required to have much formal education, especially at the lower courts levels like in small claims. Therefore, your standing as someone who probably does not represent many votes in a judge's next election compared to an opponent who may have 'blood kin" or similar vote-pulling power is going to mean a lot more than who is right or wrong.

If you are going through the Texas appeal process of a bureaucracy instead of a regular court, you might want to find out if similar politics affect the process. Not that you should be distracted from the nuts and bolts of your case, but if you don't get a fair result, this is something you might want to bear in mind. It may give you ammo for another appeal if necessary.

All things being equal, in Texas women are not equal, not at all. If your ex is like me, used to doing business in a state where women have had close to equal standing long enough for everyone to be used to it, then she might be the one who is in for a rude awakening. It is **** hard for a woman, used to doing business like a man, to react rationally when she encounters men who administer law as if they are Christian Imams trying to throw sheets over the females in the room. On the other hand, if she knows how to "play the game" she will have the upper hand with male authorities who think a big strong guy should give the "little lady" whatever she wants while she flirts with them.

If you are not from Texas you are probably used to gender being checked at the door in any formal process. Not so in Texas.

Comment

Thank you Delia for the info. My ex definitely knows how to play the game. She's an ex dancer and has never had to work a day in her life because she has guys throwing money at her left and right. I'm a one man operation, yet she came back to me asking for help...so I gave her a 90 trial period and paid her as contract labor. Of course, she didn't last so the first thing she did was file for unemployment...and I was so lenient that I let her come and go as she wanted as long as her specific task was completed by the end of the month. She averaged 25 hours a week and never completed her job. After not getting unemployment she has now concocted hours and pay that she has simply written down in her own handwriting and submitted it to Labor Law and Texas Workforce ruled in her favor...because she simply says she was here at the office and I didn't pay her a bonus. Texas Workforce is telling me that I have to prove she wasn't here working. How the hell do you prove someone is not here...just my word against hers. We never had a written agreement of our arrangement. Sometimes I paid her cash and sometimes with a cashiers check. I never filed as an employer or paid payroll taxes on her. Yet she came up with a number out of the sky saying how much she wants and Texas Workforce said ok. I've learned a lot, just trying to untangle from this one right now. Thank you all for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Comment

Not a problem......

All you need is one witness or document such as a shopping receipt (is she using plastic?) that places her somewhere else during one of the days she is claiming and *pop!* goes her balloon, hmm???

Then she can also be facing fraud complaints from the agency she convinced, as well as having to give you back whatever she has won?

I am a truckstop waitress, not a lawyer.

If you benefit from my advice, leave a ten-dollar tip for the next older-than-average waitress you meet

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X