This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager Bashing my Professionalism to others

So, recently I offered my resignation to my manager, and apparently he took it as a personal slight. After never being disiplined in my life, he is now telling other co-workers that I am unprofessional. I have never been disiplined at any job I've worked at. I'm in NV, is there anything I can do? Everything was fine until I decided to go to another company.

The best thing to do is move on. Good luck at your new job.
    In Solidarity,

Wayne

www.waynemarshall.org

Comment

You should let this person know, or have an attorney write a cease and desist letter to tell them that if this false publication to your peers and others in your professional work continues, that you may pursue legal action against this person for defamation and also the company because of his position as a manager. That could get him fired for creating liability for the company.

Comment

Excuse me? Since when is the manager expressing his opinion about an individual's professionalism defamation?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

if the opinion includes factual false accusations about the alleged lack of professionalism, such as claiming the person's performance was different from what it actually was, etc, then this manager most certainly could be accused of slander or libel. These are serious charges, especially when the slander or libel involves another professional like a manager, instead of just anyone whose opinion of the work would not necessarily be respected by the listeners.

Comment

I disagree. Opinion is protected speech. The fact that someone else's opinion may differ does not make it slander.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

You missed a very big two letter word: "IF" and you missed the phrase "factual statements". In other words, if the gossip includes statements that the subject's behavior or work product were different from what they actually were, then there is a possibility of slander.

Example: a person we'll call Joe Jones is responsible for a certain account. The account shows improvement while being handled by Joe Jones. But the account is still not as profitable as another account that was more profitable to begin with, and yet a third account creates losses that affect the entire company. Both of these other accounts are being handled by a guy we'll call Joe Blow.

For Joe Blow to say " I don't think Joe Jones is as productive or as professional as I am" would not be slander even though it might be an unfair insinuation, especially if Joe Blow were trying to limit awareness of his results to his profitable account. BUT if Joe Blow said, "Since Joe Jones has been here, our whole profit range has gone down the tubes and it is his fault because he never finished anything on time and we have had complaints" and in fact none of the complaints were about Joe Jones nor were any of the losses in Joe Jones' accounts, nor was Joe Jones ever late finishing his work, then that would be slander.

Comment

And YOU are missing one very important element to a slander claim: that of damages.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, delia. You still have not convinced me that even in the example you state, all the elements of slander have been met.

Comment

Damages are another piece of the pie, not necessarily mentioned, does not mean not considered.

First question: are the elements of a chargeable offense present? My response was "IF" certain types of statements were made during the "bashing", which would have been statements of fact and not of opinion.

Second question: once the first questions is answered "yes", then the damages have to be calculated according to whatever means the victim of the slander has available, such as losing a promotion, etc...

Of course the damage part involves a whole new level of proof, but just because it was not covered in the first part of this discussion does not mean I was not aware of "damages" as they relate to slander.

Furthermore, there are instances in which a slander suit is not for the collection of money but for forcing a correction of the record by the slanderer. An apology and retraction from the slanderer can be worth as much to the victim as any financial award.

Comment

You'll forgive me if I continue to hold my own opinion.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X