This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Paid Rest Period Requirements

Can someone explain why Indiana or any other state (that's not listed for requirement) not have some sort of rest period requirement? Working 12 hours today without a meal break was very difficult today (especially since it was a holiday) I'm so exhausted. How can this possibly be legal?
    Last edited by Liv79; 05-30-2005, 06:43 PM.

Minimum Rest Period

The why is not possible to say. You should talk to your state representatives. However, my guess is that no one has pushed the cause with the state. If you fell strongly about this, get everyone you know to contact their representatives.
    Last edited by LConnell; 05-31-2005, 09:51 AM.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

if that's what it takes I'd have to. So many of us go without breaks or skip lunches to get work done or are overlooked. It makes our work more difficult. Some of us used to enjoy our work now we are beginning to look elsewhere but what would be the point if it's going to be like this all over our state.

Comment

Many employers do offer breaks even though the law does not require them.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

my employer does offer breaks. states in the handbook for full time employees working 8 hour shifts we are entitled to an hour lunch and 2 15 minute breaks. I only take the lunch. Most times nobody is willing to relieve me of my break or is busy or there isnt another cashier. I usually dont complain but that day working 12 hours without a lunch was just crazy. I got a couple small breaks but it was just so hard. Everyone was miserable. We had plenty of people and we werent even busy.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X