X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I need advice!

Hi All -

I wondered if I could get some expert advice on a dilemma. I have been working for a private medical practice as a healthcare giver for the past 2 years. My employment performace there has been what I feel (and from what I have always been told by the employer) nothing less than consistently exceeding standards.

I have decided to relocate to another state, due to my spouse changing jobs, and due to the amount of duties that I have personally taken on at this current job, I have decided to give them a very generous 3 month notice. basically to keep a long story short, I am ort of vital to come current computer implementations and changes that are occurring in the next 2 months, thus my voluntarily wanting to stay on that much longer for them.

My dilema is this, I have asked (about a month and 1/2 ago) for 3 days of continuing education days off WITHOUT pay for which they have not gotten back to me yet for. Upon inquiry, I was told that it woul dhave to be checked with the medical director who has still not responded. i need to be able to goto this education, as it is important for my professional certifications.

I am now getting calls to interview down in the new state where I am relocating to, and am going to need to take 1-2 days to do this, again seeking days off.

Am I being unreasonable with these requests? Honestly I am afreaid to ask for these additional days off, because I am worried that they will say NO and that they are too close (within 2 weeks) to each other.

Unfortunately this move is going to require such days off and I just do not know what to do.

I feel as though I am "trapped" and not sure what to do.

I am not sure that it is being fair to me to deny these days, but at the same time, I need to be able to secure employment down there. Wouldnt you think that since I am giving such a long notice and trying to train key people for the functions of my job, that this would be easy??

Can someone tell me if any of this makes sense?

Would it just be easier to tell them that, unfortunately, due to the fact that i cannot get the flexibility with securing a job down in my new area (1-2 days), I will have to rescind my first notice to quit and just give the customary 2 weeks notice?

To me this is awful, because I truly wanted to be able to help this employer prepare for my departure due to the many things I do and noone else has knowledge there for, but i guess I have to be "forced" to look out for my future in the new area. i have to secure a job!

Any advice or what I could say to ease this with them??

I LIV IN THE STATE OF NH.
    Last edited by jeepj27; 08-02-2005, 05:28 PM.

Wouldnt you think that since I am giving such a long notice and trying to train key people for the functions of my job, that this would be easy?? Since we know nothing about your workplace, it's impossible to say.

Would it just be easier to tell them that, unfortunately, due to the fact that i cannot get the flexibility with securing a job down in my new area (1-2 days), I will have to rescind my first notice to quit and just give the customary 2 weeks notice? Your employer already knows you are leaving and when. Rescinding your notice (even if your employer allowed you to do so) would accomplish nothing.

If you asked for the continuing ed time off six weeks ago and you haven't heard back, then I suggest you ask your manager what's become of your request. If suggest you request vacation time for those days you want to be absent for job interviews.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X