This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniforms Who Buys Them?

Hello. I live in SD and was wondering who is supposed to pay for uniforms. I work in the food service industry delivering food. My question is they expect us to wear black slacks not jeans and they are very specific about this. No jeans are to be worn which is ok. But after purchasing two new pairs and being told we couldn't wear them what does the law in South Dakota say about employers paying for uniforms including shirts, hats, pants, and coats? Is it the employer's responsibility or the employee's responsibility for paying for uniforms. Thanks in advance. I need a concrete answer because I will bring this to their attention if they need to buy them.

Any help here?????? I really need an answer!! Thanks.

Comment

My company has a black slacks and white or black top dress code. I am assuming that they do not have to pay for your black slacks, as there are many different brands and types of slacks offered on the market. Ask other team members where they bought their slacks and let management know that you want to fully be within dress code but need some help finding out what items will work. Return the items you bought if they do not work. Working with your management team will show your dedication towards wanting to "do the right thing."

Comment

Uniforms

You can be required to purchase a uniform as long as the cost of the uniform doesn't cause you to go below minimum wage.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Ok but what if they provide the shirts, hats, and everything else and being so picky on pants. Aren't they required to buy them by South Dakota state law??

Comment

Uniforms

It doesn't matter...as long as the cost doesn't bring you below minimum wage.
            Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
            www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X