This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling in sick - CA

I work as a server in a privately owned restaurant in Long Beach, California. I work 4 shifts a week. There are no benefits, no vacation hours. I live off of the tips I make and the small hourly rate I am paid.

Today I attempted to call in sick to work. I am truly sick and am not in a condition to work, or to be handling people's food. The restaurant's policy is that we call other servers to cover our shift if we are not able to come in. I am not sick often, and have always covered my shifts on the rare occasions when I was. I made my calls, and no one was available to cover for me. When I called in to work to tell them I was sick I was told that I MUST come in. I was not allowed to call out sick and that if I didn't come in I could lose my job. According to the manager I spoke with, the shift is my responsibility and if I can't get it covered then it is my problem. Is this legal? Can I be threatened with termination for being sick?

I sincerely appreciate any feedback, advice, or information.

Terminated for Being Ill

You can unless the reason for your illness is a serious medical condition of which your employee knew or should have known that you have.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X