Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Docking pay for Lunch Breaks Never Taken

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Docking pay for Lunch Breaks Never Taken

    An employee is hired in January 2004 to work the Night Audit at a local hotel in Tennessee. He is on duty on third shift with three (3) other staff members, but is not allowed a bona fide meal break as defined under 29 C.F.R. 785.19. He works through his entire eight (8) plus hour shift each night, occassionally eating as he works at his desk.

    Employer repeatedly docks employee for 30 minute lunches for more than half of the lunches he takes during 2004 - even though there is no time clock punche for this.

    Additionally, employee due to business necessity is unable to take lunches in 2004 on his 2nd shifts (3-11) as well. Again, employer has no time clock punches to base these deductions on. Employer docks pay for these lunches not taken as well.

    Employer apparently has a history of doctoring time clock for various reasons it rationalizing as just.

    Is these legal? What are the implications? Recourse for employee? Ramifications for employer?

  • #2
    Report employer to TN Dept of Labor

    First link goes to page of division that handles pay being misallocated and reporting of wages messed up.
    Another option is to talk to the employer directly, but not sure that would be effective. May be best to let state contact employer, conduct audit of selected employees or everyone period to get problem addressed.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.