This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules for Contracts

Please help me understand what I am reading. My company is based in California. The company handbook reads: Nothing in this manual creates an expressed or implied contract. And then states: Upon termination, voluntary or not, no employee may utilize existing or potential contracts made while employed by K*** S**** for employment in this or a comparable industry for the duration of one year. If this is not a contract, am I held to this? Please let me know I need out of this company.

Did you sign any agreement stating that you would not utilize any of the company's clients or did you sign a statment that you agree with what is in the handbook? That can be an implied contract.
    You really need to consult an attorney to clarify.
    Sue
    FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

This is what I signed; however the handbook stated: Nothing in this manual creates an expressed or implied contract.

I ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF MY COPY OF THE HANDBOOK ENTITLED “The K*** S**** Company, Employee Handbook”. I have read and understand its contents, including the Company policies and rules governing my conduct, wages and working conditions as an employee. I have had the opportunity to ask questions about the Company’s policies and rules. I agree to abide by these policies and rules during my employment and understand the consequences if I do not.
      I understand that my employment is “at-will”, that either the Company or I may terminate the employment relationship at any time, that this handbook and the Company’s policies, rules and benefits may be changed at any time, and there are no exceptions unless the exceptions are approved in writing by *******.

Comment

Ok, well, it sounds like you fully knew and agreed to the conditions of employment there, even if it was not an official contract.

Since I am in no way a contract attorney, I think that would be the route for you to go -- most attorneys do give a free consulation.

I wish you the best.
        Sue
        FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Thank you so much for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X