This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique question re: Hours & Lunch break - CT

My employer changed from hand-writing our hours, to punching a time clock (that records to the exact MINUTE). Some employees were falsifying the handwritten hours. Those of us that arrive on time, don't abuse lunch, etc. thought a time clock was a GOOD thing. WRONG!

Long story short, we're getting harassed for being timely!

In the 'old days/writing in', if we arrived at 7:50, we'd write 8AM. Lunch breaks, same thing, we'd write 1/2 hr, even if we took 25 minutes.

With the time clock, those minutes add up to a little OT at week's end, and has created a HUGE problem w/my employer! We are being browbeaten, 'why the OT, that's not AUTHORIZED!?'! Well, we don't PLAN to work OT, we arrive/leave like we always did, it's just the time clock doesn't lie, and those few minutes each time we punch adds up! Not to mention..our time clock is 8 minutes AHEAD of actual time, if actual time is 7:53, the time clock says 8:01! So, some of us arrive early just to be sure the time clock doesn't make us look tardy (tardiness is a big NO NO also)!

Our employer's bottom line is: We MUST take 30 minutes lunch, absolutely NO unauthorized OT. Which leaves us to stand by the time clock at arrival, lunches, & departure? Pretty scary to think a 23 minute lunch I took last week could get me terminated?!

If I take 29 minutes, I'm non-compliant..subject to HR discipline. If I take 31 minutes, I'm tardy, subject to HR discipline. Same with in/out times, one minute early vs. one minute late? I know legally in CT, by law you must be given a 30 minute lunch. So, my employer is justified if they fire me because I took 29 minutes?

HELP! At this point, we just feel there are more important issues than obsessing about our time cards, we certainly are not being productive standing at the timeclock!

Time Clock

While I agree with you that obsessing about a time clock is not a good use of time, your employer has the right to do so. However, it could be that your employer does not understand that rounding is not prohibited, as long as that rounding does not adversely affect the employee.

In a diplomatic way, someone with a good relationship with the employer may wish to explain that it is very difficult to ensure that everyone clocks in at exactly the right time.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X