Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Vacation Time: Transfer from California to Foreign Country

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vacation Time: Transfer from California to Foreign Country

    I am an employee based in California and am being transfered overseas within the same company. My pay rate is different - it will be in a currency local to the new country.

    I have accumulated vacation time. What is to become of it? I understand that vacation time in California equates to unpaid wages ... so upon my transfer, what should occur?

  • #2
    First, make sure you are working for the same company, or is it a subsidiary of the same company. You may think it is the same company, but since your pay is to be in a different currency, I wonder if it is a subsidiary. Next, you first should consult the company employee handbook for the policy of what is done with unused vacation time. Typically, it would be pro-rated and unused time would be paid to you monetarily. It sounds like you are starting anew in this new job wiht the same company, so ensure you receive pay for unused vacation time, or that it is somehow credited. You may want to also make sure the employee handbook is the same, as that may vary from country to country.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.