Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Docking a final paycheck for less then a dayin Indiana

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Docking a final paycheck for less then a dayin Indiana

    I know under the Salary exemption you cannot dock for a partial days pay except for FMLA or if there is a vacation or sick bank to deduct from, but if someone quits at 10:30 a.m. can they be paid for only the 2.5 hours they were present for work. I know the DOL states that the initial week and terminal week can be less then a full weeks salary but I always took this to mean that you could pay the number of days worked not the number of hours.
    My step daughter's employer docked her pay on her last day. She is a sales coordinator and shouldn't even be classified as Exempt to begin with. Since they classified her as exempt I told her they need to stick to the law as it applies to exempt pay.
    I am helping her compose a letter to demand that she be paid for the whole day on her last day there and want to make sure that I understand the initial and terminal week exception.
    I appreciate any help you can give me.

    Thank you.
    Last edited by NeeNee1010; 04-25-2005, 02:41 PM.

  • #2
    Docking Pay

    I believe that they should not have docked her for a partial day.
    Lillian Connell

    Forum Moderator


    • #3
      re: docking a partial days pay in Indiana

      I went to the DOL website and looked up the actual regulation that this refers to and found that the initial check or terminal check can be paid by the hour and still meet the exempt standard. Thank-you anyway.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.