This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Law question in PA

I work for a "for-profit" college in Pennsylvania. I am in the admissions department and am responsible for recruiting students into our school.

Some quarters, when the number of potential students enrolled at our school are not as high as the director likes, he encourages me to pick up potential students from the inner city and bring them out to our campus to take the placement test. The director also suggests that we even pick the students up to make the first day of class so the school can "hit our numbers".

Though my job entails driving to different high schools, career fairs, and college fairs, there is NO PORTION of my job description which states it is my expectation to pick up students from homes to our school to take the test and to the first day of class. I am being encouraged on a daily basis to do this to make sure I hit my numbers. I do not feel comfortable for a number of reasons. But my #1 and 2 reason is safety and liability. I am concerned about my personal safety but I am also concerned that if I got in an accident that the "potential student" could sue me for all it is worth. I just have minimum car insurance and I am worried the "potential student" would go after house and other monies.

Is the college I work for allowed to tell me to go pick up the students? I know my job is threatened if i don't make my numbers for an extended period of time. But I don't feel like I should be picking these students up either.

Any help is appreciated.

PA Labor Question

The Pennsylvania Labor site is down today so you will need to verify this with the state. However, it is my understanding that an employer can require you to make such trips or they can take disciplinary action against you. If I remember right, PA is not a state that requires that employers provide you with reimbursement or with additional insurance coverage, except for the possibility of workers compensation should you be hurt in an accident. Of course, that would not help you if you were to injure others.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Thank u Lillian for taking a look at this question. I searched the PA labor site for contact information, but I haven't been able to find any. Is there a number I can call.

I really feel it is inappropriate to "shuttle" potential students. Maybe I will have to leave the job if I have to do this. If I were to get in an accident and someone gets hurt, the potential student could sue me for all it is worth including my hose. For me that is not worth it!

Comment

Pa

Try this link: http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/tax...&landiNav=|853|
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X