Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Termination - California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Termination - California

    I thought I had posted this question on Friday, April 22nd but my post is gone, so I'll try again...

    Can I teminate an employee by simply telling him that his services are no longer required without giving a specific reason? There have been no employee evaluations for this employee but his work is sub-standard and we would like to terminate his employment with as little fan-fare as possible. He has been working for less than 3 months with the company.


  • #2

    Yes, you may terminate and you do not have to give a reason, though you are advised to provide a letter to the employee saying that his/her employment has been terminated.

    However, be aware that you may have to defend your decision should the employee complain that he/she was terminated for illegal reasons, such as discrimination. Therefore, you should take the effort in documenting the performance before termination, even if it is documentation showing that the person was making more errors, having more problems with absenteeism, etc., than other employees.
    Lillian Connell

    Forum Moderator


    • #3
      LConnell - I was just 'let go' by my employer and no specific reasons were given. I never received any verbal or written notices regarding my performance and before I worry to much about unlawful termination I would like to confirm...

      Is it true that in Californria an employer can terminate an employee at anytime, with or without cause or advanced notice?



      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.