This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired for mishandling of company funds! (FLA)HELP

Some one pls help me, i was fired just yesterday because of mishandling of company funds. It all started when i got a new position at my job which is at a grocery store. I started to work in customer service and i was responsible for cashing checks, money grams, and money orders. The second day that i was closing by myself was crazy, me and a closing manager was working the register and i was doing a money order for a cust and the printer got jammed. So i fixed it and threw the money messed up money orders in the trash. The next day my supervisor called me and said they were missing those money orders and told her i threw them away because the printer destroyed them. So she told me not to do that any more and went and dug them out of the trash. So a few days later they said that $113.00 was missing in coinstar slips, and they blamed me for losing them, but on some days i would work with others behind the register. There was only 3 days that i closed by my self while working in customer service for 2wks. I am very well trained on where to place coinstar slips when i recieved them from a customer. Just the other day a woman came in to get a $131.95 money gram and gave me $132.00 and i gave her .5 change. So the next day, which was yesterday, i recieved a call from my supervisor and was told that the money was missing and that she needed me to come and speak with her and the store director. She also informed me that the book keeper had written me up 3 times, but never gave her the write up slips and i was never informed of the writeups. I never signed a write up slip as well. The store director said " As far as im concerned you're fired!! " He kept asking me where the money was if i took it from the customer, and i informed him that i have no idea, i placed the money in the till. I also asked to see a video tape of me recieving the money from the customer, or stealing the money. He refused and said there was no need for that and told me i was fired. So i feel that i was wrongfully fired because there was no solid proof of me getting fired! p.s Im in tallahassee, FL. PLS help!

Wrongful termination

You were not wrongly terminated unless the reason for your termination was due to illegal activity such as certain types of discrimination, specifically, age, race, religion, gender, national origin, disability or other statuses protected by state and local law.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

but dont i have a right to see evidence or a video tape?

Comment

Termination

No, you don't.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

but there is no proof that i stole any thing, plus, i never recieved a formal or written warning, is there something wrong with that situation?

Comment

Florida

Unfortunately, no. Florida permits the termination of any employee for any reason unless it is for illegal acts such as discrimination (described earlier) or unless you have a written agreement, such as a CBA.
            Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
            www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

ok, one last question, with florida, would i be able to apply for unemployment, even if i am a full time student, and i was working part-time? ( i was recieving food stamp benefits, but they cut it off due to my loss of income, unless i get unemployment.) do u think i qualify?

Comment

Termination

You probably won't unless your former employer does not fight the claim for unemployment. The reason is that your former employer will probably claim that the reason for your termination is dishonesty.

This is what I would do. It will take very quick action on your part. Send them a letter today, via fax and then via certified mail, return receipt required (through the USPS). Keep copies of the fax transmittal and the return receipt. The reason is that you want to show that you are serious about this. You will also want to give the appearance that someone who has knowledge about legal matters is coaching you.

The letter should say something like: I am protesting the reason for my termination. I believe that the reasons given for the termination constitute a defamation of character. As you may know, Florida Statues, Section 768.095, provides protection from liability for only those employers who do not provide "knowlingly false" information or those who do not violate the civil rights of a former or current employee is liable. Please be advised that, absent any indication of proof positive of your contention of dishonesty, a contention which I thoroughly deny, I will have no choice but to assume that you have, indeed, determined that you have decided to provide knowingly false information to those seeking information about my termination of employment with you. I certainly hope that you will not make such statements without positive proof of any dishonest actions on my part.

If, after consideration of this matter, you decide to agree with me that no dishonesty was involved, I insist that you replace the reason for termination from dishonesty / involuntary termination for violation of company policies to termination for reasons out of my control. Further, I absolutely insist that you do not fight against my claim for unemployment benefits. And, I inist that should a potential future employer come to you for a reference, you provide only my name, the dates of my employment AND that I left employment with you for reasons beyond my control.

Please be advised that should you decide to take actions contrary to these suggestions, I will have no choice but to pursue your actions to the full extent of the law."

I'm not an attorney so you may wish to talk with one to determine if this is a right approach, from a legal perspective. However, as a former HR executive, I would have taknd such a letter underscores the need to remedy this situation as soon as possible.
                Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
                www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X