X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lah
    replied
    Thank you very much for your response. Any information is greatly appreciated. That is unfortunate that I am unable to do anything about this. Another person who is an attorney has basically told me the same thing today.

Hope you have a nice weekend!

Leave a comment:

• LConnell
    replied
    Employee Privacy Rules

Unfortunately, there aren't any rules protecting your rights in this case, unless, perhaps, there it could be seen as a violation of a contract. But, for that to be the case, the handbook would have to not have any disclaimers saying that it is not a contract, etc. In addition, you would need to pursue it in civil court. This could be costly, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• lah
    started a topic confidentiality of employees files in AZ

confidentiality of employees files in AZ

I just want to confirm if it is against the law for a controller to discuss my personnel file, infront of another employee, regarding prior compliants/write ups/incidents. Especially when those had nothing to do with the employee I am referring to.

One day another employee called me in regards to a invoice & payment that had not been adjusted. I do her job on Fridays and this call was on Wednesday. I educated her that I did not know what she was referring to and that I would have to see it. So she came downstairs. I saw it, knew nothing about it, and educated her I could not help her. She looked at me and said, "You are so pathetic," and continued to mumble something as she headed back toward the stairs. I educated her I did not appreciate being talked to like that. This happened about 9am and at 11am I was called into the controllers office.

Instead of calling the controller when the incident happened, I sent my boss, who was on vacation til Monday, an email about the incident. The controller is not someone I felt comfortable reporting to.

Upon entering her office I see this other employee, who the controller has informed me, has a complaint that I was rude to her. I informed the controller of the name calling and that it was unprofessional of said employee to call me names.

The controller then said, "We have had other complaints from other employees about you being rude." I said, "I don't know what you are talking about," as I did not believe any prior incident had anything to do with this individual and I did not give written permission to discuss my file with another employee that was not privy to said information. She went on to say, "Don't play stupid with me. You know what I am talking about." Again I informed her I did not know what she was talking about. She then went into detail about another employee and my self in front of the employee who was present.

The company handbook states that personnel files remain confidential and that their will be no disclosure of any information to any person except as authorized in writing by the Protected Person. Or in response to a subpoena or other legal process.

What I want to know is what law protects me against this violation? Our what law was broken?
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X