This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exempt Employee in VA

I work in a Cafeteria in VA as an assistant manager. I spend most of my time in the kitchen cooking and doing prep work side by side with the other employees although I am suppose to be supervising them, (poorly I may add) I am actually responsible for more that they are in the production area. My salary when I began was based on a 50 hour work week. When I was hired I was told the Company was not interested in managers that can cook. I also have to do the butchering. Since I have been at this store I have developed carpel tunnel in my wrist and tendious in my elbow. Probably from cutting up whole chickens with a knife. The other managers work approximately 55 hours a week. I work approximately 65 hours a week. Along with these duties I also have management duties I am responsible for example purchasing food , paying invoices ect.. Which is why I have to work so many hours. I am a fast worker and there is no way I can do all this in ten hour days. Should I still be considered an exempt employee?

Exempt Employee

The responsibilities you describe int he last portion are typically those found with exempt employees. The question is whether more 40% of your time is spent doing manual work vs. exempt work. If so, you would be considered as non-exempt. You can read more about exemption at: http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs17.htm
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X