Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Exempt hours worked - PA - "lunch" hour at desk doesn't count

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exempt hours worked - PA - "lunch" hour at desk doesn't count

    I work for an advertising agency in Pennsylvania. I am a salaried, exempt, non-executive professional. We are required to work at least 40 hours per week, and required to work at least 8 hours per day. We have swipe cards that clock us in and out of the buildingMany of us work through lunch, and figure that if, say, we work 9AM-5PM and not leave the building and don't take lunch, that should be 8 hours. I generally work 9AM-6PM or later and rarely take lunch.

    Now we're told that no, 9AM - 5PM with no lunch break does NOT mean 8 hours. It must be 9AM -6PM regardless of whether we work through the day.

    I've never worked in an environment like this, especially as an exempt professional. Supposedly you're entitled to comp time, but I've never known anyone to get it or take it.

    We get paid the same regardless. Extra hours are highly valued, and may or may not be rewarded at bonus time. It's a drag getting heat for something as trivial as this. I routinely put in 83-85 hours over a 2-week period. Is it legal for them to make this requirement?

  • #2
    Exempt Employee

    Unfortunately for you, yes, they can make this requirement. An employer can set core hours for an exempt person to be at work. In addition, they can require as many hours as necessary to perform the job.
    Lillian Connell

    Forum Moderator


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.