This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I have to give notice TODAY!!- FLORIDA

I am an employee in FLORIDA that is on a year to year contract. I was told when i started that on my documents I signed when hired I am employed until July 31, 2005 but in actuality my position is budgeted to go through the end of September. All year I have been reminded to not worry because I am budgeted in through September. On Friday, July 8 my boss called me in to tell me that since theoretically on paper I am only here until July 31 that i need to use all my vacation time before then because thats what she is going to consider my end date. The bad thing is that it was such short notice to actually use my vacation time and still give my two weeks.. the good news is that I have already found another job even though her notice was completely insufficient and immoral although it is legal. I have 4 days of sick time and just over a week of vacation time accrued. On our Policy it specifically states that sick time will not be compensated for after termination or resignation. It does not say specifically if vacation hours are compensated for however, a colleague who recently resigned was compensated for her hours. My question is when i give her my two weeks notice can I ask to use the last week of July as my vacation hours week? Also can i ask to take my sick time as well during that week which will leave me with more hours that I will be reimbursed for vacation hours? Do i Have to give her two weeks notice since she already told me that July 31 is my last day? I want to make sure that I am compensated for my hours earned.
    Please help! i have to give my notice within a couple hours.

My question is when i give her my two weeks notice can I ask to use the last week of July as my vacation hours week? You can ask for anything you want. Whether your employer will approve your request is up to them.

Also can i ask to take my sick time as well during that week which will leave me with more hours that I will be reimbursed for vacation hours? Ask away. I can't imagine why your employer would grant you any sick time when you're not sick though.

Do i Have to give her two weeks notice since she already told me that July 31 is my last day? Your giving notice would appear to be silly under these circumstances.

I want to make sure that I am compensated for my hours earned. That is entirely up to your employer.

even though her notice was completely insufficient and immoral although it is legal. Let's get real here. Confusion over the end-date of your job is unfortunate but it's certainly not immoral for goodness sake.

Comment

Thank you for your reply although i don't know if the condescending tone was appropriate. I was just asking questions that I really did not know the answers to - otherwise I would not have asked them. As far as my statement about her being "immoral" perhaps "inappropriate" would have been a better word. There was not "confusion over the end-date" I was told by my supervisor as well as the bookkepper and editor of the budget that I was In through september. After she told me I was only in through July i was reassured by the other officers of the administration that I was here through september. Once again thanks, for your post.

Comment

get your sick leave, just call in sick

why not call in sick beginning 4 days prior to your vacation week....that way you use it up...

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X