X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violation

My State is New York City.
    On Dec.2004. I was arrested in a new york city subway. alledgedly an officer charged me with 170.05 forgery 3rd degree, 170.20 criminal possetion of an forged instrument, 165.15 theft of services. this is supposetly for having a bent metrocard this charges were placed on me. I recently obtained a job as a bank teller on Jan.31,2005. On court appearence date I was contacted by my employer and she notified me that some how she found out about this charges and propoced to tell me that the matter had to be solved as soon as posible or I would be at risk of lossing my job.

next court appearence date the district attorney offerd me a plea for desordely conduct a violation an a fine. i contacted my employer and informed her of the plea, she replyed she needs to see a deposition in writting i have not taken the plea yet. i asked my employer if i am still at risk if I take this plea of losing my job and she told me she can not answer that question. what a my to do? please help,

my question is Has my employer followed the proper prosidure in obtaining this information about me?
    other question i have. Can they terminate me if I took the plea of disordely conduct?

Answered

I believe that your question was answered in another forum. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

disordely conduct

My lawyer tells me that Disorderly Conduct is a violation not a crime.
      A 240.20 Violation is (disorderly conduct). My questions are: What does it means?, I'm being disorderly of what?, And if I take this plea what will my record show?. I also asked my lawyer if my case could get sealed and she replied yes but it would take a year to get sealed. My other question is, Why a year and not now?.
      Please explain.

Comment

Crime

You'll need to post your question on one of the criminal forums of this website. We can't help you as this forem is dedicated to employment law questions.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

One more question

Is it right for my employer to tell me to hurry up with my court situation? or is it illegal for my employer to terminate me while the court waits for my decision to plea or continue to trial? Remember I am not guilty and I have never commited a crime. Shouldn't I have the right to dispute this charges and be given the time by my employer to do so?

Comment

Termination

While you may not be terminated for an arrest, your employer can terminate you for things such as excessive absenteeism (if you are having to schedule appointments with your lawyer, go to court, etc.). Also, this situation is being handled in such a way, as in the public eye, that it is causing the company harm, they may be able to go ahead with the termination. In those cases, you are not being terminated for an arrest, you would be terminated for behaviors caused by an arrest.
            Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
            www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

court appearences

As far as my court appearences I schedule them on my days off. As far as my performance at work nothing has changed I even out perform others. What other excuse I can think of is simply that my employer has already passed judgement of guilty in their minds with out been proven guilty.

Comment

Violation

I understand what you are saying. However, I cannot think of anything else for you to do other than work with an attorney.
                Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
                www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X