This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overpaid in NJ

I recently resigned from a health care organization branch in New Jersey. Their HR department was so dis-organized that they continued to pay me for a month, and only stopped when I notified them of the problem. My question: am I legally obligated to repay the wages? (I have no problem with the moral issue here--after working 60 hr weeks and being on call 24/7 I feel that they more than got their money's worth from me, and my predecessor doing the same work received a substantially higher compensation). Thanks for your help

Overpayment

While it is illegal in at least one other state (California), it is not illegal in New Jersey.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by plkfish
      I recently resigned from a health care organization branch in New Jersey. Their HR department was so dis-organized that they continued to pay me for a month, and only stopped when I notified them of the problem. My question: am I legally obligated to repay the wages? (I have no problem with the moral issue here--after working 60 hr weeks and being on call 24/7 I feel that they more than got their money's worth from me, and my predecessor doing the same work received a substantially higher compensation). Thanks for your help
      Yes you are legally responsible if it is indeed an overpayment.
      Sue
      FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Agreed. It is definitely legal for the employer to recover such money if they wish to.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X