This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The use of Rank/titles

I work for a private security company for a retirement community. Most of us are piror police, fire or military. Recently, a memo came out that says, "members will start using Rank, when addressing, SGT, Captains or the Chief (of public safety). We are Non-sworn and the rank assign has no legal weight persay, meaning the person has no more power, then a supervisor (which is all the rank means--I am a supervisor). Many of us do not like address people by rank and feel, that the company can not force us to address anyone by Rank and name, i.e. Captain Smith, as long as we address people in a professional manner.

Can they force this? Is there a legal code which covers this?

Thanks

Robert

Rank/Title

This seems like a silly rule. In most cases, it is a legal practice, as long as the title requirement is not restricted to only management. If it is only the management titles that must be used, it could be seen as discriminatory if it can be shown that the ratio of protected classes between management and non-management employees is in violation of discrimination laws.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X