This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced Relocation & Forced Travel

After 9 years with this company, I was recently notified that in 2 weeks, my "new position" will be one which requires me to be away from my family traveling for all but 4 days/month and that I also have to relocate my family to another state.

My question is this: Can my employer force me to accept this "new position?" Also, what happens if I simply say "no." ? Could my saying "no" be interpreted as a voluntary quit?

I live in Tennessee and as far as I know, have no contract with this employer.

Voluntary Quit

It could be seen as a quit, depending on the distance that your employer would require you to move.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

How is the distance a factor? In my case, I'd be relocating to Michigan from Tennessee.

Comment

Michigan to Tennessee

A forced relocation of that distance would not be seen as a voluntary quit. I believe that you are eligible to receive unemployment. Make sure that you have the requirement for relocation is in writing. It may be needed when you file for unemployment.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X