X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit due to hostile work environment

Hi,
    I live in NJ. I was working as an internal annuity sales for a financial co. for 18 months. But because of hostile/stressful work environment I quit my job in Aug 04 to seek another position. The work environment has become unbearable and it was affecting me mentally, physically and emotionally. I have informed them of the situation after filling out the "Exit Interview Feedback" (which was voluntary). Needless to say my comments were a little harsh but true. I have been undergoing infertility treatments for over 4 years, and I believed this kind of stress & hostility is not helping with my medical condition.

In Jan 05, I filed for unemployment, it was initially approved and now they are witholding it because my previous employer informed them that I voluntary left the company. Now, the unemployment office sent me a letter to set up a telephone interview on Feb. 23rd - its a fact-finding interview to determine my eligibility for benefits.

My question is, am I eligible for unemployment? Right after I quit my job I got pregnant. I am now 7th months pregnant and I don't think any employer will hire me. Do I have a case? Should I bother to tell the unemployment agency that I am pregnant and that I was going through infertility treatments that's affecting my health situation.

I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks,

miladb

Eligibility for Unemployment

Though the appeals officer will make the final determination, it doesn't look positive for you to receive unemployment. According to the NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development, "If you voluntarily quit your job without "good cause connected with the work," or if you voluntarily retire, you may be disqualified for benefits. "Good cause connected with the work," means that your reason for leaving was not only a good reason but was also directly related to the job.

For example, a person quits work to move to another state because his or her spouse got a new job. While this is a good personal reason to quit, the reason for quitting is not connected with the work and the person would be disqualified.

To remove a disqualification for voluntary leaving, you must return to work for at least 4 weeks, earn at least 6 times your weekly benefit rate, and then become unemployed through no fault of your own.

If you quit your job, or if you voluntarily retire, you will be scheduled for a claims examiner interview. The examiner will determine if you are entitled to benefits."

You must also be available for work unless there is a medical reason why you cannot search for work. Being pregnant will probably not be considered as a vaiable reason why you cannot look for work, unless you in a situation where you are on bedrest, etc. You can read more about unemployment at: http://www.nj.gov/labor/ui/availwork.html
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by miladb
      Hi,
      I live in NJ. I was working as an internal annuity sales for a financial co. for 18 months. But because of hostile/stressful work environment I quit my job in Aug 04 to seek another position. The work environment has become unbearable and it was affecting me mentally, physically and emotionally. I have informed them of the situation after filling out the "Exit Interview Feedback" (which was voluntary). Needless to say my comments were a little harsh but true. I have been undergoing infertility treatments for over 4 years, and I believed this kind of stress & hostility is not helping with my medical condition.

In Jan 05, I filed for unemployment, it was initially approved and now they are witholding it because my previous employer informed them that I voluntary left the company. Now, the unemployment office sent me a letter to set up a telephone interview on Feb. 23rd - its a fact-finding interview to determine my eligibility for benefits.

My question is, am I eligible for unemployment? Right after I quit my job I got pregnant. I am now 7th months pregnant and I don't think any employer will hire me. Do I have a case? Should I bother to tell the unemployment agency that I am pregnant and that I was going through infertility treatments that's affecting my health situation.

I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks,

miladb
      Voluntarily leaving a job usually disqualifies you from collecting unemployment benefits.

The fact that you are now pregnant and virtually "unhirable" is also sometimes considered when determining unemployment eligibility.

Visit this site for more details:
      http://www.state.nj.us/labor/ui/quit.html
      Last edited by Sue; 02-17-2005, 11:22 AM.
      Sue
      FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X