This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unpaid commission

I was employed by a NY company as a Regional Manager working from my home in NC. Compensation was about 60/40 split between a base salary and commissions earned. My employment contract was always verbal, though I was with the employer for over a decade and held a number of positions.

I sold a project in June 2003 that earned me $5,000 in commission and was terminated by the company in October of 2003. At the time of termination, the employer stated that I would be paid only 2/3 of my earned commission. No reason for the reduction was given, nor was there any precedent for this policy change, making it completely ambiguous. As an aside, I never agreed to the reduction.

In the intervening time, I requested payment on several occasions to be told that they had not received any payment from client, and so would not pay me. In the past (although I have never seen it documented anywhere), I was paid when clients paid, so I did not question this.

Now almost 2 years later, Company offers $1,000 for me to go away, while acknowledging that they "have received some pay" from the client. Please note that this companies standard terms were 2/3 payment BEFORE anything shipped, and on this particular project the proposal stated at least 1/3 was required before equipment would ship. I counter with $2,500 offer and did not receive any response.

I have sent a Demand for payment letter. I am preparing to file a wage complaint with the New York State DOL (I spoke to the DOL in NC and they said I would be wasting my time, since they have no leverage over a NY company).

I am anticipating hiring an attorney to resolve this after exhausting the NY DOL route.

Questions:

1) am I proceeding correctly so far?
    2) Should I try for a judgement in NC court or in NY court?

At this point I could care less about the money, its not life changing. I'd gladly give it all on contigency if I could find a mastiff of a lawyer to punish, yes punish, the arrogant SOBs!

btt

btt ..... btt

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X