This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helpme?

I work for a company in TX. I work very hard and have made a lot of money for the company I work for. The other day I recieved a phone call from the director of ops for our company. He called to question me regarding some money situation at his end verses my end. During the call his tone became very hateful and when I was trying to explain to him I didn't understand how the two numbers could possibly be different he told me twice to shutup grow up and act like an adult. I didn't know how to react to this and still don't. In fact the money difference was found at his end the next day, it was a mistake on his part. My direct supervisor had no clue that he intended to call me about this until after the situation had allready occured. I have not recieved an apology on this situation. I was instructed to file a formal complaint with our HR department from another supervisor. However he is the Director Of Ops. Will I get believed and what good would it do? He could in turn take it personal (which he has been known to do) and I could either get fired for some silly mistake or wind up quiting due to the stress he could ensue on me..... Help what do I do?

Complaining to HR

Unfortunately, this type of complaint is not protected against retaliation under the law (unless he treated you that way because of protected statuses such as gender, race, religion, disability, etc.). So, your only hope against retaliation is if your company has a policy against retaliation and your HR Department can be trusted. You may want to determine how much of an issue this is for you. If you feel that you can't let it go, go to HR. However, if it something that you feel that you can get over with time, then think twice.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

advice

what would you do if your boss' boss talked to you like that. I guess thats what I'm unsure of. I am upset yes. I feel he handled the situation wrong and I know that he has talked to other people like that. I don't want money or anything like that from my company. I trully love my job and my employees. I guess my main complaint is I would never speak to an employee like that so why should he get away with it. I'm just very conflicted at this point.

Comment

You are in a tough situation. Unfortunately, unless he is discriminating against you, it is likely that there is nothing formal you can do. Your three options seem to be 1) complain to HR about the way he treated you, 2) do nothing or 3) approach the guy and tell him that you love working there and that you were hurt by what he said. However, chances are that is just the way the guy is and what you say won't matter. There are many bosses who treat the people who work for them poorly.

You should observe his behavior though in case he discriminates against women. Maybe he only treats women in such a fashion. If this is the case I would definitely complaint to HR and possibly the EEOC (or local body).

Comment

thanks

one last question. What if I feel I have been targeted by him. He use to love my work and always praised me up until his "pet project" went in a few months ago. I complain when theres a problem with the system. Others just don't care and let it go. Ever since then there have been comments made such as money missing that's not really missing questioning my cost analysis. He isn't ever able to find anything. And he won't I don't work like that. But I'm known in the company as the "*****y one" there are a couple others like this too so I'm not the only one. My store is also known as the "rowdy" group. We were running great numbers up until the new system went in and now we are just barely making it. So if he is targeting my store even though he is not finding anything is there anything I can say about that. That's what I feel his "attitude" is coming from.

Comment

Targeted A Store

Unfortunately, unless his motives were illegal discrimination, it is not illegal.
            Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
            www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X