This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC Salaried Employee

I've browsed the boards here for an answer to my question, but, while some topics were somewhat related to my question, I didn't find a situation exactly like mine.
    My husband is the manager of a retail store here in SC. He's paid salary. His division recently got a new district manager. Since the new DM came in my husband has been made to work almost non-stop. He didn't have a day off for two and a half weeks straight. I know he isn't entitled to overtime if he is classified as exempt salaried - but does that status also mean he is not entitled to a certain amount of time off a week? AND is it possible for my husband to be a NON-exempt salaried manager, because he is not exactly sure if he is exempt or not. The DM advised all store managers to take the same two days off every work week, yet he always schedules conference calls and store inspections on these days. I know the DM is doing this to try to gain favor with his boss by turning the stores in this district around ASAP, but it doesn't seem right for him to work his managers and co-managers into the ground. Does my husband have any rights as far as this is concerned or should he just bite his tongue and wait for this to pass?
    Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by minime
    I've browsed the boards here for an answer to my question, but, while some topics were somewhat related to my question, I didn't find a situation exactly like mine.
    My husband is the manager of a retail store here in SC. He's paid salary. His division recently got a new district manager. Since the new DM came in my husband has been made to work almost non-stop. He didn't have a day off for two and a half weeks straight. I know he isn't entitled to overtime if he is classified as exempt salaried - but does that status also mean he is not entitled to a certain amount of time off a week? AND is it possible for my husband to be a NON-exempt salaried manager, because he is not exactly sure if he is exempt or not. The DM advised all store managers to take the same two days off every work week, yet he always schedules conference calls and store inspections on these days. I know the DM is doing this to try to gain favor with his boss by turning the stores in this district around ASAP, but it doesn't seem right for him to work his managers and co-managers into the ground. Does my husband have any rights as far as this is concerned or should he just bite his tongue and wait for this to pass?
    Thanks in advance!
    There is no current law on required time off or breaks between work weeks and days.
    It can be complex in how one is classifed as exempt or non exepmt.

Visit this site for a bit more info:
    http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs17.htm
    Sue
    FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

I was afraid that was the answer I'd get! Thank you so much for the info!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X