Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

False Imprisonment Nevada

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • False Imprisonment Nevada

    A well know retailer requires employees to have there personal bags searched upon leaving the store.

    If the employer uses language like, "you can't leave the store until your bag is searched," then does this at all get close to a claim of false imprisonment? Does the employee have the right to decline the search, can they be detained in any way, i.e. security personnel standing in front of the door. I understand that the employee may be disciplined or fired for refusal to submit to the search under certain circumstances. Also, in this case, the employee agreed to a bag search policy as part of their employment. Am I correct in assuming that any search requested by the employer may be declined, and the employee may be fired for doing so.

  • #2
    This is not even close to false imprisonment. Yes, employees may be fired for refusing to allow their bag be searched upon leaving.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


    • #3
      If the store has reason to suspect you have stolen, it can also call the police and have you arrested.


      • #4
        If it is required as part of employment to check, it is not false imprisonment. False imprisonment would be if you were needing to leave and was kept from leaving when you are sick or have an emergency.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.