Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Missed PTO hours on check - California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Missed PTO hours on check - California

    Hi! I accidentally forgot to add my PTO hours on my timesheet for a day I missed so I wasn't paid for that day. On payday, I asked that they cut me a manual check but my boss said that I'll have to wait until next check day because I didn't submit the hours on time. Is this legal in CA? I thought that PTO hours are considered "worked wages"? I looked through the DOL website but all I can find is that PTO has to be paid at time of termination and that "missed hours worked" must be paid immediately but this is different. Kind of a mixture of both!

  • #2
    There is no requirement that they correct your mistake immediately. It is legally not even close to paying wages due at termination.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


    • #3
      oh boo! Not what I was hoping to hear but thanks for the quick reply!


      • #4
        not your exact question, but I know many payrolls that will correct a mistake like this if it is their mistake and write a manual check, but will not do a manual check because of an employee's mistake (failure to clock in/out, etc). Manual checks cost money and processing time. Hopefully it will make it on your next regular check. Make sure you ask them the process to see if you have to submit it differently than normal since it is outside the pay period.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.