This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part time exempt employees Massachusetts

I am interested in know how others handle snow days for PT exempt employees. If the company closes due to a snowstorm, would you still pay the PT exempt employee who was scheduled to work or would they have to use vacation time to supplement that day? Also, if they leave early on a day when they are working would they still get paid the full day? I am uncertain as to how this works since they are not hourly and there is nothing specific in our policy. Thank you in advance.

Start out with the federal 29 CFR 541.602 rules. There mostly is no such thing as a part time salaried exempt employee legally, just salaried exempt employees who happen to working part time. Make sure you understand the 541.602 rules and follow them. There are some small exceptions such as FMLA.

There is no such thing as vacation/PTO under federal law, including the 541.602 rules. That is state law only.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I am in MA and my employer has many, many part time exempt employees.

If we are closed for business, they get paid and do not have to use vacation. If the university is open but they opt not to come in, they use vacation time.

Full or part time status is irrelevant. Full time, part time, all get treated the same.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Not in MA but have a LOT of PT non exempts. We handle the same as cgb.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
          Not in MA but have a LOT of PT non exempts. We handle the same as cgb.
          Just to clarify though for others who might read thread - even though part-time non exempts can be paid when the business is closed (some employers do pay) & they do no work, they do not have to pay PT or full time non exempts. (unless there is possibly a binding contract to the contrary).
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Of course, the OP was talking about part time EXEMPT employees....

Just sayin'....
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I know. Exempt was answered by DAW (& you) - I was just letting possible other visitors to this thread know that non-exempt is different since non-exempt was brought up.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X