This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• employee write ups for parking of personal vehicle? Connecticut

I work in a building with multiple business and residential sharing the same parking lot. My manager let us know today if you were to park in a spot that is for handicap or the other businesses we will be written up. I understand we shouldn't park in other spots but can my employer really hold me accountable for my personal vehicle and where I park it. I just feel it's unreasonable for them to be able to hold you accountable for parking ones personal vehicle in a space that is not owned by the company. If you have any insight I'd love to hear it. Thank you.

There are no laws prohibiting employers from exerting control over where their employees park their personal vehicles, ergo employers are legally free to discipline (by any means from stern warnings to write-ups to termination) their employees for parking in spaces the employers have designated off-limits. This includes spaces not directly owned by or controlled by the employers.

(And anyway, do you know what happens when you park in a handicapped space when you're not handicapped? You get fined and whatever employer in that building has a handicapped employee or client will go to your employer and cause a ruckus. Your employer may even be charged for whatever loss of business the other employer suffers as a result of your flouting the law like this. The ruckus and charges are what your employer is trying to avoid - not so unreasonable.)

Comment

Yes, you really can be written up for parking where you are not supposed to. Even if it is your personal vehicle.

BTW, depending on where you live, you can be ticketed or get your car towed for parking in a handicapped spot unless you have the appropriate placard, quite apart from anything your employer can do.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

ok thanks

thank you I was just curious. I know there is a fine and getting towed. This is not me trying to justify anything or go after my employer, I just get curious of what's legal. I just thought it was unreasonable but I guess I'm mistaken. Thanks again.

Comment

It is very possible the other residents/business owners complained to the property manager/your business. We had an employee who parked directly in a spot in front of a business every day and blocked that businesses customers from having a close place to park. The other business owner said something to our employee and our employee was not gracious. In the end we had to go directly to our employee and tell her not to park there! Common sense is to let the paying customers have the better spaces, but she instead got mouthy with the other owner. We didn't terminate, but would have if it continued or escalated. The rent from the other business was way more than the value of the employee and any profit we were making off of her!

Generally your employer gets to make the rules/policies as long as they don't go against any local/state/federal laws. And there is not one on allowing you to park anywhere you want, especially not a handicapped space without a placard! That in itself is illegal and really rude. Always remember, your behavior in public can reflect back on your employer.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if a section of the lease the company signed spells out parking lot details. So a company could be in violation of their lease if the employee's parking habits don't change.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X