This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Laws on Brakes and theft. Arizona

Okay, So first question is, can unnamed employer not give an employee a brake because of how busy it is when you work over four hours? Even if they make you sign a paper saying they can?

Second question is, Can unnamed employer take measures when an employee steals from another employee?

okay so I don't get a brake at work and tonight I had sixty dollars stolen from my purse in the employee area where we have to put our stuff. I know I won't get my money back but I think they should do something about this because my money was not the only thing stolen from an employee in this unnamed employer. I have never worked in a place that just puts a paper up stating not to bring important stuff into the restaurant. I think I should be able to come to work and not have to worry that something is going to get stolen from me. I believe this is unfair that they will not do anything about this or make a safer area to place our belongings.
    Last edited by cactus jack; 11-09-2014, 02:59 AM. Reason: Do not disclose employer name or identifying information. It is not needed and serves no purpose.

Neither Federal nor Arizona law requires that you receive any breaks of any kind or any length, no matter how many hours you work. Far too many states have the same policy. If any enlightened future President makes me Secretary of Labor that will change (yes, I know the Secretary of Labor does not have the power to change it on his/her own) but until such time as that occurs, the employer does not have to give you any breaks, ever.

An employer MAY take measures if something is stolen, however no law says that he MUST.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Your best bet is not to take anything more than necessary (anything important) to work with you. (or look for other employment where you have a safe place to keep belongings)

Do you even know who is doing the stealing? Can you prove it?
      Last edited by Betty3; 11-09-2014, 01:17 PM.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Better that you two answer this as I thought there was a law that said they get a break every 6 hours. I don't know why I thought that.
        I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
        Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
        I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
        Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Not in Arizona. Break law is state specific.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

And even states with break laws you sometimes have to read the fine print. All federal law (FLSA) does with meals/breaks is spell out when meals/breaks have to paid and when they do not. (Breaks are paid and meals generally are not).
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Concur with cbg - no break law Arizona.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Concur with others..but OP your post is a bit unclear as to breaks ...and what is going on..

If the employer grants UNPAID meal time of say 30 + minutes but then requires that you work thru that time wo a true break then that triggers a they must pay for the time issue ...

If you skip your own unpaid meal time ..that's probably just too bad ..

If you mean paid short breaks and those never seem to happen..that's not a law violation.

Comment

OP please ignore Raster, he is (as usual) reading more into your issue than what you have stated.

The others have provided you with correct answers to your actual questions.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X