This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weekend work Pennsylvania

If my employer is not giving me 40 hrs monday thru friday, and I am available for work, can he mandate saturday work?

It's NOT even a question of " if" you are available ..in general your employer can require you to work Sat or Sun or at midnight or until you drop ..just so long as you are properly paid..and to refuse a work assignment can get you fired for cause

Smile and work it out nicely ....

Comment

It is unfortunate but true that in PA and in a frightening number of other states as well, an employer could mandate that you work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, and as long as he paid you all the overtime you were due he would be violating no laws.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

OP, the answer to your question is yes.

Agree with cbg though there are a few exceptions re max. hrs. for some occupations (think for safety reasons- ie long haul trucker, airline pilot), for minors......
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks

Although its not the answer I was hoping for, I thank you all for your response....lol...it just burns me that he cuts time during the week to avoid OT on weekends....

Comment

Absent being in CA or some other special situations, the employer is free to,schedule you as best suits the employers needs and in doing so avoid OT ....for that matter he could schedule you for 2 20 hours shifts Sat /Sun and not trigger OT

He is not in any sense being wrong to schedule work to spread out over the week and not go over 40 hours .

Very common in retail! ..you didn't identify the industry......

Comment

Even in CA he can still schedule work to suit the employer and avoid OT. Not even CA has so far mandated that an employer schedule work to suit the employee.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I am in the "construction" business I guess you would say...crane and rigging, gas field and general contractor work, as a truck driver/rigger
                Last edited by bullwinkle145; 11-09-2014, 08:43 AM.

Comment

That might prohibit your employer from mandating you to work 24/7/365 but it isn't going to prohibit him from requiring you to work weekends.

Comment

Agree. Your employer can still cut hours during the week & require you to work weekends to avoid OT (or for any reason) minus a binding employment contract to the contrary. Sorry.
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X