Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reimbursement of mileage on personal vehicle but asked to tow a company trailer Texas

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reimbursement of mileage on personal vehicle but asked to tow a company trailer Texas

Hello All,

I am working for a company that is paying me a daily work salary(currently on W-2) and mileage for using my personal vehicle. I get paid $0.0555 cents per mile driven in my personal vehicle for work related commutes. I have now been ask to tow a 16ft heavy duty trailer to pick up and deliver equipment to and from work sites without additional compensation. The additional weight of the trailer has lowered my MPG a substantial amount along with additional wear and tear on my personal vehicle. Should I be receiving additional compensation under this circumstance?

Please, any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Not by law. In Texas, they're not even required to pay you the basic mileage. (There are only two states that do have such a requirement - Texas is neither of them).

This is not to say that I don't think it's a reasonable request. There can be no harm in asking.

But there is no law you can invoke that will force them to agree. Sorry.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

At .55 per mile, you are still coming out ahead as far as the cost of gas. Even at 10 mpg, you would have to be paying $5.51 per gallon to "lose" money.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
        Not by law. In Texas, they're not even required to pay you the basic mileage. (There are only two states that do have such a requirement - Texas is neither of them).

This is not to say that I don't think it's a reasonable request. There can be no harm in asking.

But there is no law you can invoke that will force them to agree. Sorry.
        cbg,

Thank you for the quick reply. I might add that the company itself is based out of California and the state we have been working in is Illinois, if that should make any difference.

Comment

It doesn't. California is one of the two states, but it is the laws of the state in which you are working that matters. (And even CA would not mandate that you receive extra wear and tear beyond the mileage.)

Sorry.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
            At .55 per mile, you are still coming out ahead as far as the cost of gas. Even at 10 mpg, you would have to be paying $5.51 per gallon to "lose" money.
            ElleMD,

You are right on the money! I am getting right around 10mpg. I have read somewhere that the mileage rate is to cover Gas + wear + maintenance + insurance. If this is correct then it is not worth using my personal vehicle since I am still making payments on it. Paying about 40% extra on fuel has depleted any maintenance money I had left kver. I would gladly tow the trailer with a company vehicle and gas card with no questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
              It doesn't. California is one of the two states, but it is the laws of the state in which you are working that matters. (And even CA would not mandate that you receive extra wear and tear beyond the mileage.)

Sorry.
              Cbg,

Thank you again for clearing that up for me! You are much appreciated!

Comment

In no state is the employer responsible for your car note. That is always on you and if your employer did pay toward it, it would be taxable. The tax exempt mileage reimbursement is intended to cover gas and wear and tear only.
                I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X