Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Tracking employee location in CA California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tracking employee location in CA California


    Can someone give a brief summary of legal rights, if any, of an public (government) employee regarding their location being tracked on an agency-owned cell phone? Also, is there any distinction between tracking by GPS and tracking by cell tower activity?

    Last edited by hatrabbit; 08-14-2014, 04:54 AM.

  • #2
    If you are asking if such an action is a violation of any protected rights, it is not.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      I suspect cbg is correct as to the narrow question of can agency track location if it's own equipment any time it wants.

      But cyber tracking is a bit of an unplowed field and different variations of the question in different states might trigger different issues ...and to remotely turn on a device to record or view anything is a different question..and not one you asked. There might be contract issues under a collective bargaining agreement but that's not question asked.


      • #4
        In other words, yes it is legal to do this. It is legal for vehicles and other government owned property as well.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.