This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Docked 30 minutes for not clocking in 5 minutes early in Texas

Is it legal to be docked 30 minutes pay for not clocking in at 6:55 am when the shift starts at 7:00 am? I was forced to "sit out" 30 minutes before I could proceed to my work station without pay for clocking in before 7:00 am but not by 6:55 am.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

If you aren't actually working, you need not be paid for that time. What is considered "on time" is up to the employer and they don't have to let you just start whenever you choose.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The shift is 7 am - 5:30 pm and because I wasn't clocked in by 6:55 am but was before 7:00 am (less than 5 minutes difference) I was docked 30 minutes pay.

Comment

Just to clarify - when you say docked pay, are you talking about not receiving pay for time you actually worked? Or are you talking about having 30 minutes of work time removed from your schedule?

Legally, they are two very different things.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

And do you mean you were clocked in a 6:55 but sat in limbo,and did not start actual work until 30 minutes later but nonetheless you were on the employer site under his control.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X