X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betty3
    replied
    If something done is legal, at-will employment still applies & you can be terminated. (unless the state is one of the few that has a law prohibiting the termination as noted by cbg)

Leave a comment:

• cactus jack
    replied
    That's what I was thinking, just double checking.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    C'mon, CJ, you know the answer to this. Barring a state, Federal county or municipal law that expressly says otherwise, you can be fired because the day of the week ends in Y, even if there has been no prior discussion.

There are a handful of states which do not permit an employee to be fired because of an action that is legal. While that is generally applied to smoking/non-smoking I imagine it would apply here too. In states that do not have such a law, yes, you could be fired for open carry, even if there has been no previous discussion on the topic.

Leave a comment:

• cactus jack
    started a topic Right to hire/right to fire

Right to hire/right to fire

I was in a discussion earlier, where the question was raised if anyone had been fired for "Open Carrying" a firearm. In most places in the US Open Carry is permitted. But with the recent discussion here about the right to fire for nearly anything, would that include if someone is using their rights? Such as OCing?

I imagine if the boss says "No guns at work", that's the law of the land at work. But can a person be fired for OCing (or concealed carry with license) at work if that has never been discussed or presented as an issue? And what about OCing elsewhere? If I'm OCing at the park on my time off, can my boss fore me for that?

And are there any laws or case history to this?
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X