Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can employer cut my hours for illness?

When I was hired by my employer, I was told that I was going to be given a set number of hours. Recently I became ill and my doctor wrote me off of work for 2 days because I was contagious. I followed the requirements of my employer and brought a note from the doctor. Since that time, my employer has cut my hours, moved me to different departments and treated me very poorly. I was recently hospitalized for being very ill which did not sit well with the human resources person. The HR person cut my hours to 1 shift per week and I am now unable to pay my bills. When I asked why, the response I received was that it was just too bad and I had to get over it. the doctor stated in the letter I was allowed to return to full duty. I believe that my employer is trying to get me to quit. They have made my work environment a very cruel place. I have brought several things to the attention of the supervisors as well as the HR person and all have fallen on deaf ears. I have thought of contacting corporate but not sure what to do.
    Does my employer have the right to make my life miserable at work by allowing other employees to continue the cruel behavior and ignoring it? Do they have the right to cut my hours back to almost zero? Do I have any recourse in Iowa? Please help thank you.

Originally posted by cheatediniowa View Post
    When I was hired by my employer, I was told that I was going to be given a set number of hours. Recently I became ill and my doctor wrote me off of work for 2 days because I was contagious. I followed the requirements of my employer and brought a note from the doctor. Since that time, my employer has cut my hours, moved me to different departments and treated me very poorly. I was recently hospitalized for being very ill which did not sit well with the human resources person. The HR person cut my hours to 1 shift per week and I am now unable to pay my bills. When I asked why, the response I received was that it was just too bad and I had to get over it. the doctor stated in the letter I was allowed to return to full duty. I believe that my employer is trying to get me to quit. They have made my work environment a very cruel place. I have brought several things to the attention of the supervisors as well as the HR person and all have fallen on deaf ears. I have thought of contacting corporate but not sure what to do.
    Does my employer have the right to make my life miserable at work by allowing other employees to continue the cruel behavior and ignoring it? Do they have the right to cut my hours back to almost zero? Do I have any recourse in Iowa? Please help thank you.
    Unless you have a contract or similar, your employer is under no obligation to give you X amount of hours.

You may be able to get UI though.

Comment

When you were off work 2 days for being contagious, was it at the same time you were off work & hospitalized or were these two separate incidents? How long were you hospitalized? Did FMLA "possibly" apply?
      link to FMLA law: http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28.pdf

Otherwise, I don't see where your employer did anything illegal. (unless you have a binding employment contract guaranteeing you a certain # of hrs.) You might want to look for another job with more hrs. In the meantime, you can try applying for partial UI to make up for the lost hours.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X