This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salaried Work Schedule Massachusetts

I am working with someone who once every 5-6 weeks is required to work the following schedule: Begining on a Monday at 8AM she works her normal 8-5 shift and then moves to 'On Call' status until 8am the next morning. While on call, Help Desk issues are forwarded to her cell phone for resolution.

This cycle will repeat every day through 8a the next Monday. [NOTE: she does not work her regular job on the weekend, she is On Call 24-hours]. As compensation she is given the 'day-off' on the last Monday of the rotation after 8 AM and $100.

Is entire process legal? Can you require someone to work 24-hours a day for seven consecutive days? I understand the company is considering moving this from a Monday to Monday rotation to Monday to Tuesday (8 consecutive days).

The person is salaried exempt.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
    getajob
    Last edited by getajob; 05-13-2013, 11:51 AM.

If this person is legitimately salaries exempt, you don't have to give the extra day off nor the $100. It is nice that you do offer some compensation for the extra duties but it is not legally required.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X