This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion offered but with a cut in pay Kansas

I interviewed for and was offered a promotion for a new position that is a job grade higher than my current position at a national (multi-million dollar) healthcare company. I have been with the company for 18 years. They offered me a $1.40 per hour less than what I am currently making, even though the position is a promotion and my current pay falls within the pay range for the position. I am told it is for 'budget' reasons as well as the fact that it would not be 'fair' for me to make more than the guy that had been there 25 years. There was only 1 other person that applied for the job. Could this be 'age discrimination' since they are trying to get me to turn down the job so they can hire someone younger and cheaper? (I am over 40 years old.)

Is it possible? Sure, it's possible. Anything's possible.

Is is clear cut illegal discrimination? Not even close.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Kansas state age discrimination protection applies to applicants & employees 18 & over. So actually, someone younger than you (in their 20s for example) who didn't get a job could claim age discrimination because they were too young.

It would be hard to prove age discrimination.
      Last edited by Betty3; 04-01-2013, 03:51 PM.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

what happens if you refuse the promotion? Do you stay at your current position with your current pay rate? It is interesting that you already make more than someone a level above you. That in itself is enough of a reason to offer less. And has nothing to do with age.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X