This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company nurse and patient rights Indiana

Can an employee refuse treatment by the company RN in non emergency situation? And seek treatment elsewhere at their own expense if necessary. This is a union shop. There is no contract language concerning company medical personnel.

Is your employer demanding that you receive treatment from the company nurse and no one else?

Comment

Does CO insist?

Have not crossed that bridge yet. Do not wish to stir trouble with abusive management without just cause. They have a history of going after those who stand up to them. Or those who complain about health or safety issues. Union of little help because Co forces arbitration which is shared payment. Knowing union will drop case as too costly.

Comment

What reason is it for? Is this for a Workers Comp claim? Or for an annual physical? The reason, even if non-emergency, could make a difference to an answer.

Comment

Agree with hr for me, we would need to know why the company would try to force this, and also what the surrounding circumstances would be, if we're to provide accurate and useful answers.

Comment

If this is a WC situation, yes, your employer does have the right to dictate where you can receive care. Yours is one of 8 states with such a rule.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

no claim

No workmans comp claim. Dermititus type infection from machine tool coolant with 1500 ppm metal contamination. Nurse claims nothing wrong with coolant. Rash clears up after à week of no exposure. Returns after week of exposure. Nurse acting to protect company not health of worker. Did research and only info found states oil co scientests claim 100 ppm os dirty.

Comment

This sure sound like WC to me. In fact, the employer is normally strongly urged to report all POSSIBLE claims to the WC carrier and let them sort things out. I used to work for a heavy manufacturer with a machine shop and we certainly would have reported this to our carrier.
                "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

not reason for nurse

Not in this shop. Purpose is to reduce recordables. they even brag about the reduction in meetings.

Comment

Whatever else it may be, it would be WC where I ork.
                    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
                    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It sure sounds like WC to me too.
                      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by rdb1955 View Post
                        Not in this shop. Purpose is to reduce recordables. they even brag about the reduction in meetings.
                        Of course they brag about reduction in recordables, they just shouldn't brag if the reduction comes from not recording. OSHA hates that.

Comment

Agree with everyone else, OP's company is breaking the law by not recording this as a WC case. I can't imaging any scenario where it could be anything else.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                          Working...
                          X