This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can your boss play with the payroll taxes Illinois

my boss will pay me in cash every week for 3 or 4 weeks, then on the 4th or 5th payday he has a stack of checks. he totals up the amount of taxes owed and then takes them all out of the check he is paying me that day. he also pays the 2 mexican cooks and the other front line guy< who receives disability> cash under the table. i am the only one who receives a pay stub here, and im also the only one whocan speak english fluently with out a speech impediment.

Paying by cash is not illegal. Failing to report wages and withhold/deposit/report taxes would be illegal. Failure to follow I-9 testing would be illegal. If you think that this is a bad employer then the best solutionis frequently to find a good employer.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
      Paying by cash is not illegal. Failing to report wages and withhold/deposit/report taxes would be illegal. Failure to follow I-9 testing would be illegal. If you think that this is a bad employer then the best solutionis frequently to find a good employer.
      i have filled all the proper forms out, and i do receive paychecks and stubs, but they come 4 at a time, with all the taxes taken out of the last check. say i work 30 hours, i make 9 dollars an hour <even though my check says i only make 8.50> so he will give me 270 on sat for first week, then i work 30 hours in the sec week, so he gives me 270 again. then at the end of the month he hands me 4 paychecks, with stubs, adds up the total amount of taxes for the three previous weeks and takes it out of the net amount on the last check. so in effect i am paying 26$ in taxes 3 times and it all comes out of a check thats already taxed. so hes paying the taxes, but the question is is what he is doing with my check legal? , also something i didnt mention yesterday, hes always making disparaging comments about America...this really offends me, and i have said that before, and he sorta stopped, but he did it again today and looked right at me. i realize that its just ethically and morally wrong, but i am unsure as to how to turn him in, or to what agency.

Comment

Some issues are federal and some issues are state. Your state is not my state and I have no idea what (if anything) IL thinks about this.
        - If you are not being paid wages due, file a wage claim with state DOL. (Or whatever IL calls their DOL).
        - If the employer is routinely delaying withholding of federal taxes, IRS is somewhat interested. If the employer is failing altogether to withhold, then IRS is likely very interested. IRS has no interest what-so-ever in pay stubs or anything having to due with unpaid wages. IRS is interested in federal taxes, period.
        - IL-DOL may or may not be interested in what you describe (not my state). I czn say that must states consider pay stubs to be of little pratical importance. Many states have rules on what the pay stubs are supposed to be, but have not actuall penalties related to violations. And even those states with actual penalties generally are not all that interested. Likely the state would be much more interested if the taxes were not being withheld at all as opposed to delayed.

One more time. Sometimes the best/only cure for a bad employer is to find a good employer. I understand that this is not the answer you are shopping for.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X