This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• threats, harassment & exclusion North Carolina

Situation: Employee is offerred job out of state. Employee accepts job and moves. Employee completes probationary period with "Exceeds expectations". The only constructive critisicm on the probationary review is to continue training and continue to write reports in a less technical manner so as it is more readable to those less technically savvy. Existing immediate supervisor who hired and gave probation review to Employee retires. Approximatley, two weeks prior to retirement, employer (govt) brings on replacement supervisor who was hired from another governmental entity out of state. New supervisor shadows the retiring supervisor, attending meetings, etc. New supervisor never meets with Employee. During the last day on the job of retiring supervisor, new supervisor tells Employee "I don't see you ever being successful in this position". In the weeks following, new supervisor harrasses Employee, threatens Employee, observes and allows co-worker of Employee to make disparaging remarks to Employee, and excludes Employee from weekly meetings involving work activities applicable to Employee's job. During these meetings, new supervisor and two other managers sit in managers office laughing and looking into office of New Employee. BTW=Employee is not the same race shared by New supervisor and other managers in these meetings. New supervisor assigns Employee the task of writing a paper. Employee submits paper. New supervisor hates format and says it is too technical. This was relayed via disparaging remarks, threats, and hostility in general. Employee re-writes paper if format new supervisor wanted (but did not disclose when assigning the paper). Employee hears nothing more. Employee is assigned another task. Employee completes task. New supervisor tears Employee's work apart stating it is not what was asked for. Employee has copy of email requesting the work and cross references the work performed to the email request. New supervisor stops talking to Employee. Within one week, new supervisor puts Employee on performance review plan. Employee goes to HR noting the hostility. HR rep makes Employee go to new supervisor and tell him that Employee made a complaint to HR regarding the situation. New supervisor gest angry threatens Employee with termination. New supervisor stops talking until official meeting to discuss performance plan. HR rep goes to meeting, says nothing. New supervisor presents the paper and work assigned stating they are inadequate. Employee has, as in the last case, emails printed showing what was requested and what was completed including the fact that they were completed in a timely manner. New supervisor makes a statement that in order to protect himself, he is having Employee report now to co-worker who makes the disparaging remarks.

Question: Why would a government allow a new supervisor, in fact a sr manager, to behave this way while on probation and not remove that person? As a manager, I use the probation period to determine if the person is professfional, courteous, knowledgeable, etc. I also believe that people are usually on their BEST behavior during this period. If this is the new supervisor's best, I have to wonder what is coming after probation? (Other than complaints, paperwork, lack of productivity, costs - internal and perhaps settlements, bad press, etc) Your tax dollars at work.

Sounds like there's a personality conflict there. I guess the affected employee should sit down and discuss this at length with the new super.

Keep in mind the new super is from the same government that paid $45 for a roll of TP back in the 80's.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

When it comes to government employees, the rule is to kick someone upstairs to get rid of them out of your department and off of your back. The higher the level, the less the competence, has been my observation over the past 35 years of dealing with them.

Comment

Threats, harrassment & exclusion

Thanks Cactus Jack. I would think the same thing if the harrassment and similar behaviors occurred after the two employees had met. How many times have we all seen two employees not "gel". LOTS. However, the fact that the new supervisor made the statement inferring termination prior to ever meeting let alone working with the Employee leads me to believe otherwise. Thanks for the input though. I like reading your posts!

Originally posted by cactus jack View Post
        Sounds like there's a personality conflict there. I guess the affected employee should sit down and discuss this at length with the new super.

Keep in mind the new super is from the same government that paid $45 for a roll of TP back in the 80's.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X