X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ElleMD
    replied
    Since you have 7 months notice, you should be able to find someone to switch with for the wedding. If you have specialized skills that only 2 others possess, and work in a facility that out of necessity operates 24/7/365, it goes with the territory. I understand it is difficult. My own mother is in the same boat as she runs a specialized program at a hospital and there are only 3 certified staff members who can cover the program. One of them needs to be on or at least available at all times including weekends and holidays. She loves what she does so she tolerates the issues with the hours and coverage. If you do not, I suggest looking for another job where you can utilize your skills in a less demanding environment. Luvky for you, healthcare is an ever growing field.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    The requesting of time off is not a matter addressed by law. Each employer may legally establish their own policies, as long as those policies do not violate discrimination laws. Nothing you have posted suggests that any laws are being violated.

Unfortunately, it appears you are simply going to have to find someone to switch with. There are no laws you can invoke that will force the employer to give you the time off that you want, regardless of the reason and regardless of how far in advance you ask.

Is the employer being reasonable? Not in my opinion. Is she violating any laws? No. Is there anything in the law that will force her to allow you the time off you've requested? No.

Leave a comment:

• HRinMA
    replied
    I agree with drruthless that your employer does not need to honor your requests. If you are fired you would need to file for unemployment and look for a job with hours that meet your needs.

You do have an option of getting someone else to trade with you. I suggest getting out a calendar and counting weekends until August to see if that is your weekend. If it isn't you are all set. If it is you have plenty of time to work a deal to trade weekends.

It may be tougher to get someone to trade for your grandson's birthday. In the future, your child could check with you before planning the birthday party to make sure you are scheduled off.

Leave a comment:

• drruthless
    replied
    Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by Nursingwork View Post
    do they not have any obligation to honor my request?
    I need to know if I have any recourse to push this. I did tell her it didn't matter if it was my weekend to work or not, I would not be there. What am I supposed to do, I don't want to jeapardize my job but I would also like some give and take.
    They do not have to honor your request.
    You will have NO recourse what so ever if your're terminated.
    If you decide to go to your daughters wedding in spite of your being scheduled for work,
    you better have someone to cover your shift or have another job lined up and, what should you do?
    .....expect to be terminated.
    You work when your employer tells you to work not the other way around.
    I can appreciate you situation but if you can't find someone to cover for you that IS your problem, not your employers.
    Your employer is not required to provide "give and take"
    Good Luck.
    .._________________
    ~ Free advice is like a public defender,
    you get what you pay for. ~ drr
    Last edited by drruthless; 01-16-2013, 05:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nursingwork
    started a topic requesting time off Missouri

requesting time off Missouri

I'm an RN working in a hospital. I'm required to work every third weekend. We do self scheduling on a 6 week schedule.
    Two weeks prior to the final deadline for our requested days to work and/or not to work I requested to have a Saturday off to attend my grandson's second birthday, which happened to fall on my weekend to work. I told the scheduler I would be happy to work any other day for any other employee, even another weekend.
    When the final schedule was posted, the requested day of my grandson's birthday was ignored and I was on the schedule to work. I immediately contacted her and asked why I wasn't granted my request; she said it was my weekend to work and it was my problem to find someone to trade with. She then explained I could only switch with 2 other nurses who meet my same skill set. If I have asked off in advance of the schedule being final, do they not have any obligation to honor my request?

Additionally, today I put in a request to be off in August for my daughters wedding. This is January and I requested off for August 1-5, my manager said, you need to make sure it's not on your weekend! Seriously, this is 7 months out and she would even consider telling me to make sure my daughter isn't getting married on my schedule weekend? I need to know if I have any recourse to push this. I did tell her it didn't matter if it was my weekend to work or not, I would not be there. What am I supposed to do, I don't want to jeapardize my job but I would also like some give and take.

I might also add that I'm one of those employee's who will work extra, almost any time they are short, I have worked extra weekends, and even covered the night shift when they have been short. Help!
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X