This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incentive California

I live, work and sell in California, my employer is based in Washington state.

I work in medical laboratory sales, my new employer is not providing me with sales figures upon which my compensation is based. Is that legal?

In addition i think they are computing / calculating the revenues improperly upon which my compensation is based. In addition they are NOT providing the data/numbers that they are using to calculate my compensation. Is that legal?

In all the years that I have worked for labs, the sales numbers were provided to me. This is a first for me.

Any thoughts on the subject(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This is going to be a careful answer. If you are working in CA, then your employer is a CA employer. CA has very different rules on commissions then anyone else does. I am not saying for certain that there is a hard rule that you must be notified about sales and other information that drives your commissions, but I will say that some sort of rules exist. I will include a pointer to the CA-DLSE manual. I am going to suggest that you download a copy and read the commissions section. If this does not answer your question, try contacting CA-DLSE directly, but it really helps if you have read their manual first and can phrase your question in those terms.
    http://www.laborlawyer.net/dlse/DLSE_EnfcManual.pdf

If you were in a different state then CA, this would be a very different answer.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

CA-DLSE manual

Originally posted by DAW View Post
      This is going to be a careful answer. If you are working in CA, then your employer is a CA employer. CA has very different rules on commissions then anyone else does. I am not saying for certain that there is a hard rule that you must be notified about sales and other information that drives your commissions, but I will say that some sort of rules exist. I will include a pointer to the CA-DLSE manual. I am going to suggest that you download a copy and read the commissions section. If this does not answer your question, try contacting CA-DLSE directly, but it really helps if you have read their manual first and can phrase your question in those terms.
      http://www.laborlawyer.net/dlse/DLSE_EnfcManual.pdf

If you were in a different state then CA, this would be a very different answer.
      Thanks very much for the advice. I checked the CA-DLSE manual, and found it rather vague in terms of incentive regulations/guidelines. Am I correct in understanding that this manual, written in 2002, is the only definitive law/regulation/guideline, that state of CA uses?

Thank you,

wwwood

Comment

The manual was originally written in 2002 but is updated continually. What you see on line is as current as it gets. I have no idea why CA-DLSE does not change the dates, but they really do not care what I or anyone else thinks. I am sure that CA-DLSE has many more internal sources but that is what they choose to share with the public along with opinion letters and some fact sheets. I note that the major rule on commissions is a result of court decisions and that CA-DLSE is simply mirroring what the court said.

A little while ago it sounded like you were talking about commissions and now you are talking about incentives. CA-DLSE considers those to be two unrelated subjects. CA-DLSE generally considers "sales figures upon which my compensation is based" to be considered commissions, and those rules are more pro-employee then the more general bonus/incentive rules. I can write a general incentive program that does pretty much whatever I (as the employer) wants but commissions in CA do not work that way because the courts (and CA-DLSE) says that do not work the same way.

You might want to talk to CA-DLSE but you need to phrase your question in terms of what their manual says. I suspect that they have a much higher opinion of their manual then perhaps you do.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, and observations.
          I will explore my options with the DLSE.
          Regards,
          wwwood

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X