Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discharge before effective date of resignation Louisiana

Hi,

I was working in New Orleans and had put in my resignation to be effective in 8 weeks time. One 1 week of submitting my resignation, my employer asked me to leave. Is my employer required to pay me until the effective date of resignation as stated in my resignation letter? If not, what are my other rights?

Is my employer required to pay me until the effective date of resignation as stated in my resignation letter?

No. He is only obligated to pay you for the time you actually worked. Only one state EVER requires an employee to be paid for time past the last day they actually worked, even in that state it is only required for some employees and some situations, and that one state is not yours.

If not, what are my other rights?

You have the right to file for unemployment. You have the right to ask your new employer, assuming you have one, if you can start early. You have the right to look for other work.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I would be shocked if any employer paid for 8 weeks worth of work which were not performed. Many will pay a week or two, but 2 months is really pushing it. Under your theory I could say I'm resigning next year and then my employer would have to pay me for an entire year I wasn't working.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X